A fix-and-flip is one of the most hands-on types of investments, requiring physical renovations, project management, careful property selection, and much more.
If you want to enter the world of fix-and-flip investments, many skills will help your projects be as successful and profitable as possible.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the 10 handyman skills every flipper should know, which will ultimately result in lower costs, a faster turnaround, and increased profitability.Get Started with Park Place Finance .
Painting is one of the simplest ways to improve a property—and it’s also one of the most basic skills you need to know as a house flipper.
Painting involves the following:
- Preparing the surface, including cleaning and patching holes
- Choosing the right paints colors and types of paint
- Applying paint using proper techniques, such as cutting in edges and using even strokes
- Final touches—carefully removing tape, cleaning spills, and ensuring consistent coverage
You’ll also need quality materials, including paintbrushes, rollers, drop cloths, sandpaper, paint trays, and a ladder.
Common plumbing issues you should learn how to fix include:
- Identifying leaks and tightening loose connections
- Repairing or replacing faucets, showerheads, and fixtures
- Clearing simple drain clogs
- Adjusting or replacing the flapper on toilets that keep running
- Insulating pipes
While it’s helpful to know the plumbing basics, it’s even more important to understand when to call in an expert.
If the issue is persistent or complex, call a pro to take a closer look.
Basic electrical repairs you’ll encounter in your properties include changing light fixtures, replacing switches and outlets, troubleshooting electrical outlets, and ensuring proper grounding.
When it comes to electrical work, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Here are a few examples of the basic work you’ll want to learn vs. expert work that requires a professional.
- Basic: Replacing a light fixture
- Expert: Rewiring a light fixture or installing smart fixtures
- Basic: Fixing non-functioning outlets caused by tripped circuit breakers or loose wiring connections
- Expert: Repairing circuit overloads, short circuits, or problems within the electrical panel
In general, issues that are complex or require installations or upgrades are better left to the professionals.
Drywall installation is an advanced skill, but drywall repair is simple to learn.
Purchase the following:
- Spackling paste
- Putty knife
- Drywall tape
- Utility knife
You’ll then have everything you need to address the following drywall issues:
- Patch small holes and cracks
- Repair larger damaged areas by cutting out and replacing the damaged section
- Sand and finish to achieve a seamless surface
Smooth walls contribute to a polished and well-maintained appearance.
Learning basic landscaping skills will help you to boost the curb appeal of your fix-and-flip property.
Take the following steps to improve your landscaping and increase the value of your property:
- Regular lawn maintenance, including mowing and edging
- Weeding and mulching
- Planting and maintaining flower beds, trees, or shrubs
- Checking and adjusting sprinkler systems
- Creating pathways
Don’t forget seasonal cleanup, such as raking leaves or removing dead plants.
Basic flooring installation skills will help you save money, address immediate issues quickly, and keep your projects moving along.
Flooring skills you should master for your properties include:
- Click lock laminate flooring
- Vinyl plank flooring
- Applying grout for tile flooring
- Filling small gaps or scratches on hardwood
- Carpet installation in standard rooms
- Basic tile cutting
Call in an expert for complex room shapes, significant hardwood repairs, custom designs or inlays, and subfloor damage.
Simple woodworking skills are essential for various small projects and repairs, including:
- Cutting and shaping wood
- Creating basic joints
- Installing basic baseboards or crown molding
- Assembling furniture
- Framing simple structures
- Installing cabinets
- Patching small holes or cracks in wood surfaces
For some people, carpentry is an enjoyable hobby.
If you enjoy these types of projects, you may be interested in learning more advanced skills such as custom or restoration work.
In the meantime, tools such as a circular saw, hammer, chisels, measuring tape, and level should help you complete your projects.
Window and door maintenance boosts a property’s energy efficiency, security, and appearance.
Regular maintenance helps prevent issues like drafts and leaks.
Basic skills you should learn to maintain windows and doors include:
- Sealing gaps and cracks with caulk
- Installing or replacing weatherstripping for insulation
- Lubricating hinges
- Painting and sealing wooden frames
- Examining locks and hardware
Promptly addressing these types of issues will prevent further damage and prolong the life of the frames.
Watch for cracks, holes, damaged, or warped siding on your property to quickly repair it.
These types of repairs protect siding from moisture, UV rays, and other environmental factors, which enhances its durability and longevity.
Common siding repairs include:
- Patching holes or cracks
- Replacing damaged sections
- Sealing and painting
- Checking for signs of rotting
- Addressing mold and mildew
- Removing dirt and debris
Siding maintenance prevents minor issues from escalating into more extensive and costly repairs.
Interior design may not seem like it fits into handyman skills, but basic design considerations play a crucial role in attracting potential buyers and creating a positive impression.
Consider the following design elements for your properties:
- Thoughtful color choices that complement the property’s style
- Lighting fixtures that influence a space’s ambiance
- Highlighting unique features
Honoring basic design principles will make your properties more appealing—and may boost their value.
Fix-and-flip loans from private lenders cover the purchase and renovation of your property—and can close in as fast as three to five days.
Park Place Finance’s signature fix-and-flip loan is for everyone from first-time house flippers to experienced investors.
We provide fast, dependable, proven capital at competitive rates to make your next project profitable.
We look forward to helping you make your next investment property a success!