Memorial Day means spending time with your family to remember those who have served and who are no longer with us. There is no better way to honor those memories than to take time out to appreciate your family; either with a get together at your home, or with a day trip where you can enjoy some time together. We’ve got some great destinations, no matter where you are in Texas and some awesome ideas for your grilling entertainment.
Where to spend Memorial Day in Texas:
Memorial Day in New Braunfels
There is plenty to do in New Braunfels for Memorial Day Weekend that will keep you cool. To start, it’s the kick-off of American Heroes Week at Schlitterbahn Waterpark. Monday, May 28 – Sunday, June 3, Military and First Responders are admitted FREE! Tickets for their spouses and children are 50% off gate prices as well.
Snag a tube at any of the tube stations in New Braunfels and hop in the Guadalupe or Comal rivers. Check out the floating forecast and plan your trip here.
Get out of the sun and embrace the cool air in Natural Bridge Caverns! This fun and educational activity will feel like a major adventure for the kids and will get you out of the heat for a bit.
Memorial Day at the Big Thicket
If you’d rather spend time in nature, The Big Thicket Natural Preserve is an excellent destination. The shade provided by the Piney Woods will certainly give you some respite from the heat as you hike through the park.
In addition to hiking, there are a variety of other fun family activities that you can enjoy. Rent a canoe and take time out for a leisurely paddle. Horseback riding is popular in the area, or you can enjoy the paths while biking. Campouts are a great way to spend time with your family, chatting and s’more-making.
Memorial Day at Davis Mountain State Park
Head out west and enjoy time in the mountains of Texas. The Davis Mountains are a great option for those who love the higher elevations. Birdwatchers will appreciate the opportunities to catch sight of some beautiful feathered friends at the “best little bird blind in Texas”.
Stargazing is a popular pastime in the Davis Mountains, so enjoy the clear skies and breathtaking views in the evenings.
Best Texas Smoked Brisket Recipe
- Preheat smoker and add wood chips according to the instructions for your particular smoker.
- Rinse and dry an 8- to 10-pound untrimmed brisket.
- Apply your favorite brisket rub.
- Place the brisket in the smoker for 8 to 10 hours. Keep the smoker temperature at about 225℉ to 250℉.
- To make sure the brisket is tender, take the brisket out of the smoker once it reaches 170℉, wrap it in aluminum foil and put the meat back in the smoker or in an oven at 180℉ to 200℉ during the last two hours or until the internal temperature reaches 190℉.
- Dig in!
Grilling Tips for Memorial Day
- Preheat your grill. Just like you would do with an oven, you want to prep your grill so it is at the right temperature before you throw on your meat and veggies. 15 to 25 minutes should do it.
- If you’re camping or grilling at a park, it’s a good idea to ensure you are using additive-free charcoal and definitely heat and clean the grill before using it. Use a wire grill brush to get whatever is stuck on the grill off before you start cooking.
- Oil the surface to prevent sticking. Use tongs and a paper towel soaked in cooking oil, rubbing it on the grill rack. Spray is not a good idea, especially with an aerosol can over a hot grill.
- Make sure to use different dishes and pans for raw and cooked meats. Do not place cooked meat in the same container or serving dish you used for the raw meat unless it has been thoroughly washed and disinfected to avoid food-borne illnesses.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure meat is cooked to a safe temperature. Click here for food safety standards, including temperatures.
- Let your meat rest after cooking, particularly when cooking steaks or brisket. Everything will settle back into place and you can enjoy a nice, juicy cut of meat this way.
- Last, and most important, enjoy!
We hope you and your family have a fantastic Memorial Day. Stay safe and enjoy your time together. Happy Memorial Day from Park Place Finance!